Opening to the public on Saturday, April 14, 2018, ACM’s new hands-on educational Learning Lab, Powering the Future, is the perfect vehicle to drive home one of the most important questions of our time, “How will we power our future?” Powering the Future will immerse students and visitors in the complexities of our transportation choices, show the real world impacts of our energy needs and inspire solutions for a sustainable, energy independent future. This new, interactive learning lab will have lasting impact for our region and nation, helping to equip all ages with basic energy literacy and a better understanding of the scientific and technological thinking transforming our mobility in a fun and engaging environment.
As students and visitors enter the Learning Lab, the following interactive areas will engage them:
- Powering the Past, where early vehicles ignite discussion of the fuel and technology choices offered in the first automobiles.
- Fueling Stations providing hands-on exploration of energy sources and technologies while sharing accounts of innovative vehicle and power solutions iterated by scientists, inventors and engineers.
- Driving Forces that place the need for sustainable solutions into context, highlighting the impacts of our transportation choices on the economy, environment and society.
- Investigation Stations offering a digital platform for visitors to weigh the potential impacts of their personal vehicle choices.
- Visitor feedback area that invites collaborative discussion to spark ideas for a sustainable future and to encourage visitors to offer their vote for winning solutions.