1963 Studebaker Avanti #1001
Celebrating 60 Years of the Studebaker Avanti
Save the Date!
June 5, 2022
Calling all Studebaker Driver’s Club and Avanti Owners Club Members! JOIN us at the LeMay – America’s Car Museum on Sunday, June 5th @11:00 AM for a special 60th Anniversary Celebration of the 1963 Studebaker Avanti! Special parking on the Museum’s plaza will be provided to all Studebaker Avantis! (please arrive by 10:00 for special parking). We will have Avanti 1001 on display for you to see and enjoy up close!
July 9, 2022 Concours d’Elegance at Copshaholm
The First Production Studebaker Avanti leaving for South Bend, Indiana for The Concours d’Elegance at Copshaholm and will be on featured display at the Studebaker National Museum’s exhibition of “The Avanti: America’s Most Advanced Automobile” through October 2022.
America’s Car Museum’s 1963 Studebaker Avanti #63R1001 – the first production Avanti built by Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana.
Avanti in Italian means “forward.” Studebaker Corporation (South Bend, Indiana) President Sherwood Egbert’s vision to fuel company sales was to create a radical new car for the Studebaker line. In early 1962, he tasked famed industrial designer Raymond Loewy to create the design. In just a short period, Loewy and his design team consisting of John Epstein, Robert Andrews and Tom Kellogg presented Egbert with his futuristic design and the Avanti was born. It was fabricated in fiberglass over a steel frame, a new technology at the time, and powered by the top-of-the-line Studebaker 289 R2 Paxton supercharged engine. Paxton President and racing legend Andy Granatelli joined the team to help promote its performance image. It was touted as “America’s Only Four-Passenger Performance Car.”
This car is Number 62R 1001 with matching supercharged engine number R1002, and is the first production Avanti made by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana.
America’s Car Museum obtained Avanti #63R1001 in 2001 through a donation from a local collector. The car had been discovered on the East Coast and was brought to Washington State in 1974 by the donor with the intent of restoring the car. The car was in need of a complete restoration, having been drastically altered by a former owner. In 2010, with the help of records obtained from the Studebaker National Museum archives, the chassis and engine numbers were authenticated as the first production Studebaker Avanti, securing the car’s place in automotive history.
In 2011, America’s Car Museum embarked on a journey to raise funds to restore the car. LeMay-ACM Collections Manager Renée Crist solicited the assistance of James Bell, owner and curator of Bell’s Studebaker Museum in Bellingham, Washington to assist with the project. Together they conducted a thorough assessment of #1001 developing a restoration work plan. With the approval and support of the Museum’s board of directors, and donations from LeMay-ACM supporters, Studebaker owners and clubs, the restoration was able to begin. Newly restored, in the car’s original colors of Avanti White with deluxe orange Naugahyde interior, the car is one of the museum’s showcase vehicles and adds to the rich story of American automotive innovation, design, manufacturing, and engineering.
1963 Studebaker Avanti #63R 1001 data
The serial number for the car: 63R 1001
The order date was 4/26/1962
Final assembly date was 6/1962
Shipping date was 6/25/1962
Body number for the car 63R-Q, then 101 was added
Body color 6331 – Avanti White
Interior 733A – Deluxe Orange
Engine, R2, #RS1002 – Supercharged [actual engine number matched the build sheet]
Transmission, 4 speed floor shift
The car was equipped from the factory with power steering, tinted side glass, hill holder, front and rear seat belts, radio and antenna, rear speaker, white wall tires and twin traction
Studebaker Corporate memo referencing Car 62R1001:
“1-62R Serial No. 1001” to be allocated for South Bend Technical Training Center.
The memo and accompanying “Authorization of Expenditures” document authorized the use of the first 5 Avanti’s at five technical training centers around the country. The purpose was to “develop shop manuals and present the Avanti Technical Service Training Program to corporate and dealer personnel.”
1964: Purchased by Dick Goldfarb and licensed in Massachusetts, sold in 1966
1970: William Palmer, Jr of in Cape May, New Jersey purchased the car from Feldman Motors in Revere, Massachusetts
1974: The car discovered in Connecticut by Gary Johnson of Avanti Northwest and brought to Tacoma, Washington for the collection of Dr. Daniel Cook
2001: The car was donated to LeMay – America’s Car Museum by Daniel and Nancy Cook
June 3,2018 Arrival: James Bell and ACM Curator of Collections, Renée Crist view the completed 1963 Studebaker Avanti #63R1001 at at LeMay-America’s Car Museum
ACM is extremely grateful for the generous support of money, parts and time donated to the project by Museum members, the Studebaker Drivers Club and Avanti Owners Association International members. Much of the assembly work being performed on the Avanti has been donated by the members of Studebaker community lead by co-project manager James Bell with support of Stephanie Bell. Additional authentication research was provided with the help of Lew Schucart of the Avanti Owners Association International and Editor of Avanti Magazine, Author and Automotive Historian John Hull, and Andrew Beckman, Author, Archivist and Historian at the Studebaker National Museum.
1963 Studebaker Avanti R1001 Rescue Project Managers
Renee Crist, Curator of Collections, LeMay- America’s Car Museum
James Bell, Owner of Bell’s Studebaker Museum and Diner in Bellingham, Washington