It is a rare breed of automotive trailblazers that are able to move from upper echelon race car drivers to OEM manufacturers of fine automobiles and supercars. The ranks of this rarefied group include names such as Ferrari, Shelby, Chevrolet. Steve Saleen is one of those individuals and the company he founded has a rich history of innovation, design and engineering distinction. The Saleen Exhibit at America’s Car Museum celebrates companies founded by racers while keeping the focus on Steve, his company and, most importantly, the cars.
The exhibit, “Saleen: A Journey from the Heart of a Racer to America’s Supercar“ offers visitors a unique display of Steve Saleen’s rich automotive history, spanning over four decades. Visitors can enjoy a variety of historic vehicles on display, including Steve Saleen’s personal racing machines, early Saleen Mustangs, the Saleen S7 (considered America’s first supercar), and examples of the company’s new Saleen 1 midengine turbocharged sports car and recently unveiled Saleen 1 GT4 concept race car. The exhibit initially features 17 Saleen vehicles, with additional cars rotating into the exhibit throughout the year-long display.
Vehicles on display (subject to change)
- 1976 March B Formula Atlantic race car driven by Steve Saleen
- 1984 Saleen Mustang
- 1987 Saleen Mustang race car
- 1988 March Indy Race Car driven by Steve Saleen
- 1992 Saleen Race Truck (winner of the SCCA RaceTruck Challenge)
- 1995 Saleen S351 Mustang
- 1996 Saleen Mustang Le Mans race car
- 2001 Saleen S7 supercar featured in the film “Bruce Almighty” (2003)
- 2004 Saleen SA-20 Mustang
- 2005 Ford GT (engineered and manufactured by Saleen under contract to Ford)
- 2005 Saleen Mustang featured as police Decepticon Barricade in “Transformers” (2007)
- 2006 Saleen S281 Mustang in “Molly Pop” hot pink
- 2014 Saleen SA-30 Mustang
- 2019 Saleen S302 Mustang “Black Label”
- 2020 Saleen Sportruck XR
- 2020 Saleen 1 sports car (street version)
- 2020 Saleen 1 GT4 concept race car
Saleen is dedicated to transforming the transportation experience. For over 35 years, the California-based automotive manufacturer has redefined driving through high-performing vehicles that combine championship-winning racing pedigree with innovative technology and distinctive styling.
From the first Saleen Mustang in 1984 to the legendary S7 in 2000 and the groundbreaking new Saleen 1, company founder Steve Saleen has continually set the bar for vehicle design and performance engineering on streets and racetracks worldwide. In addition to its distinctive Saleen Signature and Saleen Original vehicle lines, Saleen offers a wide variety of technical parts, lifestyle accessories and apparel for those with a passion for performance. Learn more at www.saleen.com.